Introduction to Macallan Whiskey
The Scottish isles are popularly known as a home for the best Scotch whiskeys in the world. The Macallan Whiskey is one of Scotland’s premium scotch whiskeys. The Macallan Distillery was founded by the late Alexander Reid. He was a schoolteacher and farmer at the same time. Using only two pot stills, Reid made his first-ever Macallan whiskey in 1824. Since then, the Macallan Distillery has been producing some of the finest whiskeys in the UK and all over the world.
Choosing the best Macallan scotch can give you a hard time since the brand is known for its slightly high to high-priced whiskeys. But if are really interested in this brand, please continue reading below the latest Macallan whiskey prices in the market. Hope this article can be a great help.
This popular whiskey from Scotland is a single-malt scotch which means this was made from only one distillery. Reid was one of the first distillery owners who recognized the advantages of a single-malt whiskey. According to them, a single malt possesses charisma, sexiness, and a much finer taste. It also has good marketability. Macallan is one of the top producers of single malt whiskey in the global market. Despite the costly price, the demand for a Macallan Whiskey has been increasing through the years. But why is a single bottle of Macallan Whiskey expensive? Continue reading for the answer.
Why is Macallan Whiskey so Expensive?
In 2007, a 1926 edition Macallan whiskey was sold at an auction for $54,000 while in 2010, a 64-year-old single malt Macallan whiskey was sold for $460,000. In 2018, a bottle of 60-year-old Macallan Valerio Adami was sold for £848,000 at an auction in Scotland. This Macallan whiskey is considered as the world’s most expensive whiskey ever sold. The good thing is, all the money generated from these auctions went straight to a reputable charity organization. You may be asking why a bottle of a single Macallan whiskey is kind of costly. Here are the reasons:
A High Cost of Production
The Macallan Distillery is known for using premium ingredients and high-quality casks/barrels. The barley they use costs 45% more than the average. Their Sherry Cask is specially made from conditioned Spanish Oak which costs $1,500-$1800. This is many times higher than the cost of an ex-Bourbon cask which you can purchase for $100-$200 each. Their blends also undergo a series of meticulous processes and trials.
Macallan’s Whiskeys Are All-natural
Macallan’s whiskeys are all light-colored because they do not use caramel coloring and Mega Purple. Macallan is one of the few whiskey producers that focus on natural whiskey coloring even it means they’d have to use excessive amounts of fresh fruit flavors.
It is a Speyside Whisky
The concept of a Speyside Whiskey is pretty simple. Speyside is a productive part of the Highlands region that is protected by the UK government. Speyside single malt whiskeys such as The Macallan Whisky are produced and distilled in Strathspey, this is a dry, warm region that is believed to have an amazing effect on Scotch whiskeys. Being a Speyside scotch, the Macallan whiskey possesses a sweet, nutty, and fruity taste that is different from the others. The Speyside label is such a big thing in the Scotch industry and can also increase sales of a brand.
Macallan Whiskey Prices
Macallan Whiskey Sherry Oak Prices
The Sherry Oak collection is composed of five single malt whiskeys that possess a rich, smooth, yet intense taste.
- Sherry Oak 12 Years Old – This classic Macallan whiskey possesses a wood spice character and a rich, gold color. You can avail of a single 750-ml bottle for $60-$90.
- Sherry Oak, 18 Years Old – This iconic Macallan whiskey in ginger and raisins flavor has a light mahogany color. Price ranges from $260 to $280.
- Sherry Oak 25 – This 25-year old Macallan whiskey in rich mahogany color costs $2, 000 – $2, 900.
- Sherry Oak 30 – This 30-year old Macallan scotch has a strong nutmeg, orange, and wood smoke nose finish. A 750-ml bottle costs $2,000 – $3,000.
- Sherry Oak 40 – This premium scotch has a spicy and smoky finish and normally costs $10, 000 – $15, 000.
Macallan Whiskey Double Cask Prices
The perfect combination of European and American oak casks.
- Double Cask Gold – This has a burnished gold color with a malty, sweet, and slightly dry finish. Price ranges from $50-$60.
- Double Cask 1 – This 12-year old Macallan scotch has a harvest sun color which is darker than the double cask gold. This also has a sweet, citrus flavor and can be purchased for $50-$65.
- Double Cask 15 – This 15-year old Macallan scotch whiskey in golden butterscotch color has a sweet raisin taste with hints of citrus, vanilla, and wood spice. This can be purchased for around $120.
- Double Cask 18 Years Old – This whiskey possesses a much sweeter and warmer taste compared to other double cask Macallan whiskeys. This can be purchased for $2490-$260.
Macallan Whiskey Triple Cask Prices
The Triple Cask collection is a mix of American, European, and ex-bourbon American oak casks. It has a smooth yet complex flavor that can be pretty interesting for whiskey enthusiasts.
- Triple Cask Matured 12 – This Macallan Triple Cask whiskey has a rich straw color with flavors of vanilla, melon, and lemon zest. This is perfect to consume when chilled and can be purchased for $70-$80.
- Triple Cask Matured 15 – This 15-year old Macallan triple cask was first produced in 2018. Price ranges from $120-$145.
- Triple Cask Matured 18 – This exotic Macallan whiskey with light amber color has a lingering chocolate and orange finish. This single malt whiskey has a strong flavor and can be purchased for $250-$275.
Macallan Whiskey Quest Collection Prices
The Quest Collection is inspired by the company’s pursuit of different unique and extraordinary casks in the world.
- The Macallan Quest – The Macallan Quest is a soft blend of soft citrus fruits, lemon, and vanilla oak. It possesses a pale gold color and costs $180-$199 per bottle (700ml).
- The Macallan Lumina – This zesty Macallan whiskey in harvest gold color is a combination of American and European sherry oak casks. It has a warming fruit and spices finish that is perfect for any type of gathering and occasion. Price ranges from $130 to $150.
- The Macallan Terra – This complex yet balanced single malt Macallan whiskey is a combination of the family’s very first European and American oak casks. It has a sunset orange color with toffee, lemon zest, and light ginger aroma. Price ranges from $180-$200.
- The Macallan Enigma – The rich and intense flavor of the Macallan Enigma single malt whiskey is perfect for celebrations and any occasion. It has a Spanish sunset color and aged exclusively in European oak sherry-seasoned casks in Spain. Price ranges from $260-$300.
Macallan Whiskey Fine Oak Prices
- Fine Oak 10 Years Old – This pale straw single malt whiskey has a lingering oak and fruit finish. Price ranges from $40.99 to $50.
- Fine Oak 12 Years Old – This vibrant single malt smooth whiskey with notes of honey and dried fruit is perfect for chilled consumption. Price ranges from $90 to $130.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 15 Years Old – This rich straw whiskey delivers an intense rich chocolate flavor with hints of raisin and orange. The average price in the market of the Macallan Fine Oak 15 Years Old is $200.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 17 Years Old – This light amber whiskey possesses a rich and exotic flavor with hints of jasmine, peat, and tropical fruits. Price ranges from $200 – $250.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 18 Years Old – This light amber single malt whiskey delivers a soft and rich tropical flavor with hints of spice, citrus, and wood smoke. The average price in the market is $250.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 21 Years Old – This 21-year old fine whiskey has an intense and rich flavor with hints of peat and oranges. Price ranges from $530 – $780.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 25 Years Old – This bright amber single malt whiskey has a rich, intense flavor with hints of vanilla, orange, and vanilla. The average price in the market is $2, 229.
- The Macallan Fine Oak 30 Years Old – This pale gold single malt scotch has an intense flavor with hints of vanilla, sandalwood, and black cherry. This 30-year old fine oak whiskey has a delicate finish. Price ranges from $4,000 – $4,700.
Macallan Whiskey Prices List
Here is an updated price list of some Macallan Whiskey products in the market:
Size / Bottle
Macallan 18 Years Fine Oak
Macallan 12 Year Old Sherry Oak
Macallan 12 Year Old Double Cask
Macallan 15 Year Old Triple Cask
Macallan 21 Year Old Fine Oak
Macallan Fine Oak 17 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 10 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 12 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 15 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 18 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 25 Years Old
Macallan Fine Oak 30 Years Old
Macallan Whiskey Maker's Edition
Macallan 25 Year Old Sherry Oak
Macallan 30 Year Old Sherry Oak
Macallan Double Cask Gold Speyside
Macallan Single Malt Scotch Gold Double Cask
Luxurious Scotch Macallan Whiskey Prices List
The Macallan Distillery has also produced other scotch whiskey products such as the rare collection, limited releases, and travel retail exclusives. For the complete information about these Macallan whiskeys, please click here.
Size / Bottle
Macallan Rare Cask
Macallan 1966 35 Year OldFine & Rare Single Malt
Macallan 72 Years Old
Macallan Rare Cask 2018 Release
Macallan 50 Years old
Macallan Masters of Photography Magnum Edition 7
Macallan 36 Years Old Director's Special
Macallan Select Oak
The Macallan is indeed one of the premier Scotch whiskeys in the world. If you are aiming for a good-quality whiskey with a fair to high price, then you certainly can consider adding The Macallan Whiskey on your list. If you are planning to purchase a Macallan whiskey, use this complete guide and share it with your friends and loved ones.
Also, let us know your thoughts about your Macallan experience. If you are new to this brand, what are your expectations? If you are a Macallan enthusiast or expert, how’s the experience so far? Are you recommending this brand? Can you rate this brand from 1-10 – 10 being the highest? Please leave a comment. Thank you and always remember to drink moderately and responsibly!